NOVIA UNIVERSITY OF APPLIED SCIENCES - SOCIAL SERVICES AND HEALTH CARE STUDIES
Novia University of Applied Sciences acts along the Swedish-speaking parts of the Finnish coastline. With over 4000 students and a staff of about 300, Novia is the largest Swedish-speaking university of applied sciences in Finland. High quality degree programs provide students with a proper platform for their future careers.
At Novia UAS there are two campuses where students in social services and health care study: the campus in Vaasa and the campus in Turku. There are about 1350 students in this field. Novia’s degree programs (taught in Swedish) in the field of social services and health care produce Bachelors of Bioanalysis, Midwifery, Radiography, Beauty and Cosmetics, Health Care and Social Services. In addition, Novia UAS in Vaasa offers a Nursing Degree Program in English.
Students in this field acquire the skills they will need in their working lives by taking practical training at Vaasa Central Hospital and Tyks Turku University Hospital, the regions´ health centers and various service units for the social sector.
NEW CAMPUS IN VAASA, PALOSAARI IN 2017
Novia UAS and the Vaasa University of Applied Sciences are increasing their cooperation and developing applied research and the training they offer in social services and health care. In the future, the collaboration between these two Finnish and Swedish speaking universities will not only provide modern facilities, but also opportunities for joint teaching and a teacher exchange program. This will benefit students, who want to work in the bilingual working communities of the Vaasa region.
Novia UAS Degree Programs: Health Care
Novia UAS offers:
Degree Program in Midwifery, Vaasa
Degree Program in Beauty and Cosmetics, Vaasa
Degree Program for Biomedical Laboratory Scientists, Vaasa
Degree Program in Public Health Nursing, Vaasa and Turku
Degree Program in Radiography and Radiotherapy, Vaasa
Degree Program in Nursing, Vaasa and Turku. In Vaasa also in English.
Degree Program in Social Services and Health Care, Vaasa and Turku
We also offer a Master Degree Programme in Social Services and Health Care. These are offered in both Vaasa and Turku.
The degrees are
• Master of Health Care
• Master of Social Services
Projects and Research
Novia UAS has a long tradition of research and projects relevant to the field of social- and healthcare. We have a special focus on “Health and living conditions of older adults”, and Novia UAS have had several projects and conducted research about; health and safety for older adults living at home, preventive home visits, nutrition and medical care of older people. Also the sense of influence and empowerment are central research areas. Health technology is represented in projects like Virtu and Aktivointi-TV.
Novia UAS also has research about virtualization in nursing education and developing clinical practice for student nurses.
A list of relevant projects at Novia UAS (mostly in swedish):
• GERDA https://www.novia.fi/forskning/fokusomraden/aldres-halsa-och-livsvillkor/aldres-halsa-och-livsvillkor/avslutade-projekt/fou-projekt-gerda
• Kunskap i utveckling (KIU) http://web.novia.fi/kiu/kiu/hem.html
• SuperNurse Botnia2 http://web.novia.fi/supernurse/snb/hem.html
• Utveckling av lärmiljöer inom DP in Nursing
• Virtu http://www.virtuproject.fi/
• Aktivointi-TV http://aktivointi-tv.vaasa.fi/
• Hemma bäst – Kotona paras http://hemmabast-kotonaparas.novia.fi/
• VATA – Vaikuttavat tavat http://rdi.arcada.fi/vata/fi/
A selective list of publications from Novia UAS:
• Nyback M-H. (2013). A constructivist approach to teaching and learning at the Degree Programme in Nursing at Novia Univeristy of Applied Sciences. Novia Publikation och produktion.
• Sandvik, A-H, Eriksson K., Hilli Y. (2013) Becoming a caring nurse A Nordic study on students' learning and development in clinical education. Nurse Education in Practice.